Match Report - Bromely v Yeovil Town

Yeovil Town progressed to the 2nd round of the FA Cup thanks to a last gasp winner in extra time from substitute Gabby Rogers at Hayes Lane. After 90 minutes the game was poised at 0-0 and with Bromley down to 10 men it was Yeovil's game to win and after the game had been looking set to go to penalties Yeovil won it in extra time injury time.

Darren Sarll made 3 changes to the side that was beaten 2-1 by Chesterfield last weekend as Dan Leadbitter, Ryan Burke and Matt Worthington were replaced by new loan signing Alex Bradley while Lawson D'Ath returned to the side and Rhys Murphy regained his place up front.

Yeovil opted for a 4-4-2 formation with Alex Bradley, Luke Wilkinson, Carl Dickinson and Morgan Williams in front of Adam Smith while the midfield was made up of Charlie Lee, Lawson D'Ath, Matt Warburton and Albi Skendi. Rhys Murphy partnered up with Joe Quigley in attack.

Yeovil kicked the game off shooting towards the all seated Glyn Beverly Stand in bright conditions.

The match started off fairly evenly which was to be expected since both teams both compete in the National League. Yeovil won their first corner on 7 minutes which was taken by Matt Warburton but it was cleared away. Carl Dickinson crossed it back into the box but it came to nothing.

3 minutes later Reeco Hackett-Fairchild almost gave Bromley the lead as his shot from just outside the box looked to be curling into the top corner but it was just high and wide.

On 17 minutes Yeovil survived a scare as a Frankie Raymond free kick fell to a Bromley player just yards from goal and Adam Smith made a crucial point blank save but in the end it mattered little as offside was given.

Just 2 minutes later Joe Quigley produced a shot at goal that was deflected off Rhys Murph but it was well saved by Mark Cousins and even if the ball found the back of the net it would have been given as offside for the deflection off Murphy.

As the half progressed it was Yeovil who were looking the more settled side and were creating many more chances than the home side. If Yeovil could keep this up they would find their way through eventually.

On 24 minutes a corner from Carl Dickinson was delivered to the back post which found Charlie Lee but his header was just over the bar.

Yeovil continued to impress and on 33 minutes Joe Quigley and Rhys Murphy partnered up well which allowed Murphy to turn and shoot but the shot was just wide of the target.

2 minutes later a long free kick up field from Adam Smith found Albi Skendi on the edge of the box who got a shot away which was deflected wide. Carl Dickinson took the resulting corner kick which was initially cleared but came back in and Alex Bradley flicked the ball towards goal but it was hastily cleared away.

Half Time: Bromley 0-0 Yeovil Town

The second half almost started perfectly for Yeovil as they nearly took the lead 3 minutes after the restart as Matt Warburton hit a shot that crashed off the crossbar.

Yeovil continued to be the more dominant side in the second half and again had another opportunity to take the lead as some sloppy play in the midfield allowed Rhys Murphy to drive towards the box and played in Joe Quigley who took it round the keeper but the shot was saved.

The match took a slightly ugly turn 67 minutes as Harry Forster went in for tackle on Luke Wilkinson who went down in agony. A slight brawl broke out between the two sets of players but happily it soon settled down and Harry Forster was shown a straight red card leaving Bromley a man down with over 20 minutes of the second half still to play.

The sending off seemed to spark Bromley into life as suddenly they were able to start creating more chances of their own and they almost took the lead as a corner to the far post fell to Michael Cheek but he spurned the effort over the bar from close range.

On 83 minutes Yeovil had a great opportunity to take control of the game as Alex Bradley had a free header in the penalty area but he was unable to keep the ball on target with his header high over the bar.

With just 30 seconds on the clock Yeovil survived a scare as Michael Cheek won the ball in midfield and drove forward at the Yeovil defence, created an opening and produced a low shot that was just inches wide of the post and Yeovil could breath a sigh of relief and the game was heading to extra time.

Full Time: Bromley 0-0 Yeovil Town

Yeovil kicked off the first 15 minutes of extra time shooting towards the all seated Glyn Beverly Stand and it seemed as though extra time was in Yeovil's favour as they still had all three subs available from the normal 90 minutes of play plus an extra one for extra time whereas Bromley were a man down and had only one sub available to them. It really was Yeovil's game to win.

On 96 minutes Yeovil made their first substitution as Jimmy Smith was introduced for Matt Warburton.

Just one minute later Morgan Williams produced an absolutely class piece of defending with an unbelievable last ditch clearance as Michael Cheek was bearing down on the Yeovil goal and produced a shot that beat Adam Smith and was heading into the net but Morgan Williams sprinted back and slid in to scoop the ball away from danger.

Just 2 minutes later it was Yeovil who almost took the lead as a shot at the near post from Rhys Murphy was well saved by Mark Cousins.

Extra Time Half Time: Bromley 0-0 Yeovil Town

Yeovil town made their second substitute at half time by introducing Gabby Rogers for Lawson D'Ath.

The second half of extra time was always going to be nervy for both sides as one mistake could settle the tie. Bromley had been the better side n the first half of extra time and that seemed to continue in the second as Yeovil were struggling to assert themselves and take advantage of the home side being down to 10 men.

3 minutes after the restart a bizarre incident occurred when a free kick was awarded to Bromley after their player tripped over the ball but the referee had thought he was fouled. The resulting free kick fizzled out to nothing.

As time ticked away it looked like the match was going to a penalty shootout and 3 minutes of time was added on and Yeovil were awarded a corner on the far side which was taken by Carl Dickinson. The cross was deep into the penalty area and was headed away but it fell to Gabby Rogers who hit the shot on the volley and nestled into the bottom corner through a crowed penalty box to send the Yeovil players into delirium.

With so little time left Bromley were unable to respond and Yeovil Town progressed into the 2nd Round of the 2020-2021 FA Cup.

Extra Time Full Time: Bromley 0-1 Yeovil Town

After the recent disappointing performances in the league it was crucial that the Yeovil players were able to put in a more positive performance and get a positive result and they did just that. Even though the game had to go to extra time Yeovil looked much improved over recent games, pressing well, creating good chances and defending well when they had to.

Bromley will no doubt be feeling a little deflated after that as they fought well with 10 men and had chances to win it themselves but it wasn't to be and Yeovil will be glad to be in the hat for the second round draw that will be taking place on Monday night at around 7.10PM.

It was also good to see Gabby Rogers get his first senior goal as he has played very well since making the step up from the academy which will help his confidence and hopefully be the first of a few more goals from the young player in the coming months.

Man of the match voting for this game against Bromley is now open. You can cast your vote here.


1 - Mark Cousins, 2 - Joe Kizzy, 5 - Chris Bush, 14 - Kory Roberts, 3 - Harry Kiprianou (replaced by 6 - Jack Holland on 66 minutes), 16 - Liam Trotter (replaced by 4 Billy Bingham on 55 minutes), 8 - Frankie Raymond, 18 - Ben Williamson (replaced by 10 - James Alabi on 73 minutes) ,11 - Reeco Hackett-Fairchild (replaced by 24 - Nassim L'Ghoul on 112 minutes), 19 - Harry Forster (dismissed on 68 minutes), 9 - Michael Cheek


4 - Billy Bingham, 6 - Jack Holland, 10 - James Alabi, 12 - Tom Purrington, 13 - Tarek Najia, 20 - Jude Arthurs, 24 - Nassim L'Ghoul

Yeovil Town

1 - Adam Smith, 27 - Alex Bradley, 6 - Luke Wilkinson, 17 - Morgan Williams, 3 - Carl Dickinson, 22 - Charlie Lee, 18 - Albi Skendi, 8 - Lawson D'Ath (replaced by 16 - Gabby Rogers on 105 minutes), 11 - Matt Warburton (replaced by 10 - Jimmy Smith on 98 minutes), 9 - Rhys Murphy, 19 - Joe Quigley


5 - Ryan Burke, 10 - Jimmy Smith, 15 - Jack Clarke, 16 - Gabby Rogers, 23 - Harry Palmer

Next Fixture

Wrexham v Yeovil Town

Date: 08/05/2021
Competition: National League
Venue: Racecourse Ground
Kick Off: 15:00

Latest Result

Yeovil Town


Halifax Town

Attendance: 0 (0 from Halifax Town)

National League Table

Last Updated: 03/05/2021


Torquay United

Sutton United

Stockport County

Hartlepool United

Halifax Town





Notts County

Dagenham & Redbridge

Maidenhead United

Boreham Wood

Solihull Moors

Aldershot Town

Yeovil Town





King's Lynn Town