Supporter Alliance Meeting Minutes 15/1/2020

Last month the Supporter Alliance met with Yeovil Town representatives to discuss various issues and topics regarding YTFC. The minutes of this meeting have been typed below however you can also view the original PDF by clicking here.

Supporter Alliance Meeting
15th January 2020
Venue: Boardroom, Yeovil Town FC

Attendees:

Rich Rendell - Chairman
Jake Farrant - G&Ws
Sharon Swain - DSA
Michael - DSA
Vernon Edmunds - Glovers Trust
Dean Mountain - Glovers Trust
Rob Newport - Cary Glovers
David Mills - YTFC

Apologies:
Scott Priestnall
James Hillier
Kirstie Baker
Paul Hadlow
Marilyn Cottle
Tom Burt
Sara Bradley

• Welcome by the Alliance Chairman

RR opened the meeting by paying respects to former YTFC manager Ron Saunders, who died in December. He acknowledged the great job that Dave Linney did as Commercial Manager up until his retirement from the role in December – he will be missed. The group also extended a welcome to Mark Robinson as the new Commercial Manager.

• Approval of minutes

The minutes of the Alliance group meeting held on 22nd November were approved as accurate.

• Volunteer request and YTFC club shop

The Club have spoken to two parties interested in running the Club Shop on match days - Terri Burt of the Glovers Trust and Paula from the Green and White Supporters Club. Terri will be running the shop this week, and Paul Hadlow will speak to Paula at the weekend regarding her potential involvement.

RR and DM emphasized the importance of volunteers to the running of the club, particularly on match days. Increasing the number of volunteers is vital to the success of the Club off the pitch. RR mentioned that despite social media appeals, only 3 people turned up to help remove the pitch covers prior to a recent game. SS said it is very important that all of the various supporters’ groups promote opportunities for the Club and provide as may volunteers as possible from their members. JF suggested publicising requests for volunteers as widely and as often as possible.

• Stadium update

James Hillier was unable to attend the meeting so could not deliver a full update. RR commented that a light has now been erected in the lane leading to Western Avenue, making the area much safer to walk through. DM added that additional lighting is now in place behind the away terrace.

• Alliance group accommodation

DM said that the Trust are pushing for some form of accommodation at Huish Park to allow them to have a match day presence. He has spoken to Stuart Burrell about potential spaces, but negotiations are still ongoing. RR stated that the condition of the Green and Whites portacabin is very poor, and they were also looking for new accommodation at the stadium.

Action - DM to continue speaking to the individual groups about accommodation outside of this meeting.

• Supporters survey

DM requested that the planned supporters survey be postponed until the end of the season as the end of the season was the natural time to do such a survey. Instead, DM requested the group work with the new Commercial Manager to conduct a survey of local businesses. This would aim to find out what would attract them to the Club, spread the message that the Club has changed and is ‘open for business’, and hopefully create some leads.

DM stated that the Club’s current sponsorship offer was very traditional and that the club is developing more innovative packages, such as via social media channels so feedback from businesses would help develop these ideas. RR requested Mark attend the next Alliance group meeting to discuss this further.

Action: Stuart Burrell to continue speaking to Mark Robinson about the objectives and content of the survey.

• Garden of remembrance and Martin Baker memorial

DM stated the Club planned to unveil a plaque for Martin Baker where he used to stand on the home terrace. He suggested that the Legends game to be held in May would be a good time to do this. No progress had been made on the new remembrance wall - this will be picked up again at a future meeting.

• Player of the season awards

The group discussed options for the player of the season awards, including holding a presentation evening at the Club. SS expressed concern that this would limit the number of people able to attend to 100, and also make it difficult for children to come. Holding the evening at another venue would incur higher costs, which might not be recouped. In the end it was agreed that continuing with the awards straight after a home game is the best option. The possibility of being in the playoffs makes it difficult to know when the last home game of the season will be, but the group agreed that the Barrow game on 19th April would be a good time.

Each of the groups present stated that they wanted to retain their individual awards, rather than joining together for an Alliance group player of the year.

Action: DM to ask Darren Sarll if he is happy for the awards to be given out after the Barrow game.

• Any Other Business

VE asked DM whether there are any plans to create a skittle alley at Huish Park, as there is a shortage in the area, and this could bring in regular income during the week. DM stated that thebidea that will be considered along with the other stadium changes.

RR stated that the club will be selling breakfasts to supporters at Huish Park between 9:30-11am on Saturday 25th January, prior to the Green & White coaches departing for the Woking game. He requested help from the other supporters’ groups in publicising this. He also congratulated the Club for the success of the televised Sutton United game shown at Huish Park, which was well attended and organised.

DMo asked why the marquee was closed for the Hampton and Richmond game, leaving some supporters unable to get a drink before the game (as the Alex Stock lounge was full). DM explained that with games with attendances below 2,000 it was questionable whether the marquee was needed, and the decision had been made not to open it on this occasion. DM confirmed that it would be open for the game with Notts County in the next round of the trophy. DM confirmed the club are currently unable to sell alcohol behind the home terrace due to the alcohol covenants applying.

SS said that the DSA had arranged a bingo night at the Club for Friday 24th January. This has previously been successful, with over £300 taken at the last event.

SS also said the DSA had acquired 100 lanyards designed for people with hidden disabilities. Supporters would be able to contact the DSA to obtain one of these. The DSA will explain these to stewards in their pre-game briefings, as well as incorporating into stewards training in the summer.

DM said the Club has been discussing the varying attendance levels and thinking about how to get more supporters at games. Although offers such as Kids for a quid are popular and important to continue, they don’t have a significant impact on the number of paying adults at the games. The Club will produce leaflets detailing upcoming matches, starting with the February games, to try and reach supporters who don’t access to social media. DM asked for help distributing these from Alliance group members and suggested group take up to 100 to distribute. SS suggested putting posters up in shops and the library. RR suggested contacting Graham Cole at Leonardos, and the local Council, for help in getting the leaflets out.

Action: DM to have leaflets produced for distribution by groups.

RR congratulated SS for her recent Vanarama National League Volunteer of the Month for December – a very well-deserved award. In addition, RR thanked other dedicated volunteers, including Pat Custard and Paul Hadlow. He reiterated the importance of volunteers to the success of the Club and encouraged all supporters’ groups to promote opportunities and encourage their members to help.

DM and RR expressed concerns that although holding the meeting in the evening enabled some people to attend that would otherwise not have been able, it also meant that some key people could not make it. The suggested date of the next meeting is during the day on Wednesday 12th February.

Action: DM to confirm this date with Scott Priestnall. Subsequent to the meeting it was agreed with RR that 12 February was not a viable date due to the game at Harrogate Town being rescheduled to the evening of 11 Feb.

Next Fixture

There are no fixtures to display at this moment.

Latest Result

Dover Athletic

0-1

Yeovil Town


Attendance: 1,180 (128 from Yeovil Town)

Man of the Match voting has closed for this game

National League Table

Last Updated: 16/03/2020

Pos
Team
Pld
GD
Pts

1
Barrow
37
+29
70

2
Harrogate Town
37
+17
66

3
Notts County
38
+23
63

4
Yeovil Town
37
+17
60

5
Boreham Wood
37
+15
60

6
Halifax Town
37
+1
58

7
Stockport County
39
-3
58

8
Solihull Moors
38
+11
55

9
Hartlepool United
39
+6
55

10
Woking
38
-5
55

11
Barnet
35
+10
54

12
Dover Athletic
38
+0
54

13
Bromley
38
+5
52

14
Sutton United
38
+5
50

15
Torquay United
36
-5
48

16
Aldershot Town
39
-12
46

17
Eastleigh
37
-12
46

18
Dagenham & Redbridge
37
-4
44

19
Chesterfield
38
-10
44

20
Wrexham
37
-3
43

21
Ebbsfleet United
39
-21
42

22
Maidenhead United
38
-14
41

23
AFC Fylde
37
-16
39

24
Chorley
38
-34
26